Welcome to Techy Tunes !

Follow Me

[SOLVED] USB Dongle not Detected in Ubuntu 16.04



By   Unknown      August 07, 2016      Labels: , , , , , , , ,  
Below are the steps to follow. I found these steps from a forum (which I cannot find the link now) and they have missed one important thing. So, this is how I got my huawei dongle working in Ubuntu 16.04


  • Create a mobile broadband connection first. You can do it by Edit Connections option.
  • In the terminal type lsusb having the dongle plugged in. Below is what I got

  • Note the line "Bus 001 Device 007: ID 12d1:1446 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. Broadband stick". This is my dongle
  • Note these, you need these up ahead. 12d1 is the vendor id, 1446 is the product id. These might change according to your dongle type (this was what they have missed ;))
sudo vi /lib/udev/rules.d/40-usb_modeswitch.rules
  • Add following line before "LABEL="modeswitch_rules_end"

ATTR{idVendor}=="12d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="1446", RUN+="usb_modeswitch '%b/%k'"


  • save the file and type the following. Make sure 12d1 replaces your vendor id and 1446 replaces your product id as per your dongle
sudo touch /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/12d1:1446.
  • Last step as follows. Same rules apply here for the vendor id and the product id. Additionaly add the prefix "0x" for the vendor id and product id
sudo usb_modeswitch -J -v 0x12d1 -p 0x1446 
.
  • I got the below screen and everything was good. 

  • I had to issue the command "sudo usb_modeswitch -J -v 0x12d1 -p 0x1446 " always when I restart the machine, but I always believe that having something is better than nothing ;)

About Unknown

A Software Engineer who desperately loves Music. Works in WSO2 Telco . Loves cricket, hates Buriyani.

1 comment :

  1. Thank you Usuru that was a very good tutorial and I have internet connection on my Ubuntu now.

    ReplyDelete